Everyone suffers from constipation or obstipation from time to time, especially the elderly, pregnant women and young children. Causes of constipation include: diet, stress, irregular living, illness and medication use.
A severe form of constipation is irritable bowel syndrome (PDS). People with PDS have continuous pain and the pain varies. This pain can get in the way of performing well. This article is about constipation but the information is also valid for PDS.
How to treat constipation
There are several things you need to get right to address constipation. Below is an overview of things you can do yourself.
Eat enough dietary fibres
Eet voedingsmiddelen die rijk zijn aan voedingsvezels. Voedingsmiddelen met veel voedingsvezels zijn:
- Rye bread, wholemeal bread and brown bread
- wholemeal products, such as oatmeal, muesli, wheat flakes
- whole wheat pasta, brown rice,
- vegetables, raw vegetables, fruit (preferably with peel) and potatoes
- dried and soaked tropical fruit such as prunes, apricots, tutti-frutti and raisins
- nuts, peanuts
- Pulses, such as brown and white beans, marrowfat peas and lentils
Note that many of these foods are rich in potassium. Keep that in mind if you are potassium restricted.
Eat regularly. This keeps the bowels moving. It’s a personal choice whether you eat something 3 times a day, or 5 times. But the important thing is that your eating rhythm is roughly the same every day. And by all means, don’t skip your breakfast. Eating at the beginning of the day stimulates your bowels.
Go to the toilet when you feel the urge
Listen to your body. Go to the toilet immediately when you feel the urge. If you hold it up, the poop gets hard.
Try to move more, as far as you can in your situation. Walking helps against constipation better than cycling or swimming.
You’re not on a fluid restriction? Drink 2 to 2.5 litres of fluids per day. Too little moisture can cause dry, hard stools.
Other things that help address constipation
- create peace in your mind. Tension strikes at the weak point in your body. This is probably your gut in you.
- massage specifically for the intestinal area. Massage stimulates the entire intestinal system and noticeably improves bowel movements.
If the above remedies do not work consult your doctor. It is possible that medicine is the cause of your constipation.
Approach to obstipation problems
A specific connective tissue massage activates the intestinal system. You notice this already after the first treatment. After a few treatments, the body should start doing it itself (don’t forget the advice above).